Ballet Theatre of Scranton and The Dance Studio: the official school of BTOS, are preparing to open for the 2020/21 season. We hope that this correspondence finds you and your family well and healthy. This dance season will begin like none other. We take the recommendations of the Pa. Governor seriously in regard to keeping our children and families safe in our studio environment during this COVID-19 pandemic.
We have instituted new procedures beginning in September 2020:
- Opening dates:
- The week of Sept. 14- Senior Company ages 13+ and Children/Apprentice Company ages 8- 13
- The week of September 21- Minidancers ages 4-7
- Please note: these are general age ranges and if you are unsure, please call the studio
- All students will enter through the double doors on Penn Ave. A staff member will greet them there, take temperatures, confirm that they have no symptoms, and send them upstairs where there is a hand sanitizing station before they enter the studio.
- Students over 8 years old will enter the studio with no parental accompaniment. Students under 8 years old are allowed one healthy adult to accompany them.
- The waiting room is socially distanced for those parents of children under the age of 8 but is otherwise closed.
- No use of the elevator is permitted except for handicap accessibility, which must be communicated in advance.
- The dressing rooms and vending area are closed. Please have your child bring their dance bags into class with them and bring their own beverage with them. Also, have your dancer already dressed for class when they arrive.
- Each child must bring their own large yoga mat with them each week, with their name on. This will allow them to do any floor exercises while maintaining the sanitized conditions. Ballet Theatre will be selling these personalized, watch remind for details.
- All studios have hand sanitizing stations for use before and after class. The barres are marked for 6 ft distancing and the floors have decals for distancing as well. Teachers will be sure to structure their classes with no hand holding or partner exercises.
- Staff will sanitize between classes, therefore classes will be dismissed 5 minutes earlier then usual end time. We are striving to keep dancers in the same studio for multiple classes rather than change studios. For our minidancers, teachers will assist the students in changing shoes for a different class.
- The studio will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized each evening and on weekends as well as by staff disinfecting between classes.
- The exit will be different from the entrance: A staff member will be at the exit in order to be sure all children are picked up and safe. The exit is located at the front of the building to the left of Steamtown Blueprint.
- Please do not arrive any earlier than 15 minutes prior to your class.
- For those of you who prefer to utilize Zoom instead of coming into the studio, please make the office staff aware prior. Those classes will be offered at the same time as the in studio class times. High speed internet has been installed in order to offer a high quality Zoom session.
- Payments can be dropped at the front desk ( sneeze guards have been installed) by the student or minidance parent or can be mailed to 310 Penn Ave., Scranton, Pa 18503 att: Dorothy
Please remind your dancer to cover their cough or sneeze with their elbow and to wash their hands or sanitize regularly. If a student has a fever, cough, shortness of breath… Please keep them home. If a student has been exposed to Covid-19, please keep them home and have them tested and notify us of that action and result. If a student HAS Covid-19, please inform the studio immediately and have the student follow CDC quarantine guidelines. In the case that a student is positive for Covid, the studio will close and sanitize. You will be notified of our closing and reopening dates by the Remind app. Anyone who was in contact with the positive student, will be contacted by the studio to make them aware.
Looking ahead, IF the government puts our county back into a more conservative color level and we are unable to have classes in the studio: we will offer classes online via Zoom. We hope to keep the same schedule, but that will depend on the attendance in each class. IF, at that time, you choose NOT to take class via Zoom, please notify us. You will not be responsible for tuition during the months we are mandated to close, if you choose not to participate in the Zoom classes. We truly hope that closing will NOT be in our future.
Information regarding Ballet Theatre of Scranton membership will be distributed soon for ballet dancers ages 8 and older.
Face masks are to be worn by all.
All students must have a waiver signed and brought for the first class (this will be available on the remind app, and should be printed before arrival).
If you have any further questions regarding these policies or any other health related inquiries, please email us at email@example.com
We look forward to a safe, healthy, and wonderful (although different) dance season ahead!
Miss Joanne & staff
Ballet Theatre of Scranton/The Dance Studio